George Rose has been a creative from a young age and has explored many avenues... more
Kids’ craft: Transform old terracotta pots into terrific toadstools
02 Nov 2022
Create a fairy-friendly toadstool patch for the kids with pots covered in spots.
You will need:
- Resene Aquapel & Terracotta Sealer
- 3 round terracotta pots in different sizes (ours were 17cm and 11cm)
- 3 round terracotta plates – ours were 3cm wider than the bottom of the matching pot
- Resene testpots in your choice of colours – we used Resene White, Resene Poppy, Resene Aquarius and Resene Forest Green
- Paintbrush and smaller craft brush
- Compass and pencil
- Epoxy or glue (optional)
- Resene FX Nightlight glow in the dark (optional)
Step 1: Apply one coat of Resene Aquapel & Terracotta Sealer to the outside and inside of your three pots and plates. Leave to dry.
Step 2: For the tops of your toadstools, paint two coats of your chosen Resene colours onto the plates, allowing time to dry between layers.
Step 3: For the base, paint two coats of a light colour on the outside of the pots, allowing time to dry between layers. We used Resene White for our pots. When the plates are dry, sketch out some larger dots with a compass and pencil (you will be working with a bumpy surface, so these don’t need to be exact). Use a small paintbrush to paint the dots in a light colour. Get creative with your dots by using different colours, adding smaller dots, or even making a fantasy toadstool with stars.
Step 4: Assemble the toadstools by centering the plate, painted side up, on top of the upside-down pot. If you need your toadstool to be more stable, affix the plate using epoxy or glue.
Top tip: For glow-in-the-dark toadstools, paint Resene FX Nightlight – glow in the dark over the Resene White.
project Sarah Kolver, image Bryce Carleton
Published: 02 Nov 2022